they say my name is Heartbreak
a girl who cries in the street-
they think I hide in the shadows
unable to accept defeat-
but what do they know about fighting
when they're not part of the war?
how can they see the dying
when they've never been at death's door?
I think my name is Danger
because I know what it means to bleed-
I've pulled the trigger and held the blade
and wrestled the violent need-
don't talk about teaching me lessons
'cause there ain't no more to learn
so walk away and watch your step
and let my little rage burn
they say my name is Hope
a heart that keeps on beating
they think I'll get past the wounds
and finally stop the bleeding-
a girl walking out of the fire
coming slowly into the rain
she's burned but the ashes are glowing
is that the miracle of pain?
I think my name is Maybe
or Gimme-a-Mintue-to-Chill
the puzzle is still in pieces
but the picture is no longer still-
I'm standing on the edge of reason
forgetting the shouts and cries
because something inside you lives
when the person inside of you dies
something inside you swims
when the water starts to rise
-- A different kind of heat.
No comments:
Post a Comment